the old world new

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

But I'm Over It Now

So I admit that I've been feeling a little guilty because I haven't been going out as much as I thought I would. I've spent days in a row going no further than the neighborhood stores. Part of it is that time telescopes here, I wake up and suddenly it's midnight. Part of it is that I have been essentially staying with other people or travelling for the better part of two months. It's nice to have a home again, a dedicated space. I like sitting on my balcony. And when I go out I don't seem to return until the next morning. Even when I stay in I somehow manage to stay up until 5. It's a little exhausting. And the dreams, I have been having the most vivid dreams. They are epics. I wake up fairly often because of the noises from the stairs, but the dreams just continue. The last one was a sort of a Battlestar Gallactica meets Firefly meets Man and Boy with a little Fat Albert thrown in. I can't explain it, exactly, but it was really fun until they blew out the planetary controls and flushed the atmosphere out into space. when I mentioned it to my roommate he suggested I write a soundtrack for my dreams. Great idea. But I'm starting with the soundtrack for a love story I want to write. I sequenced the main theme today.

I've been spending a lot of time figuring out this music production/sequencing program Ableton Live. It's incredible, a very fine piece of coding. I don't fully understand even a quarter of its capabilities yet, but it's fun in a way very similar to djing, which I'm only doing on my computer so far. I'm trying to dedicate some time each day to Spanish study and either writing or work with music, either research or production. With music, as is typical with me, 2 hours suddenly become 5. Throw in that whole telescoping time thing and it's 5am and I'm trying to convince myself to forget the snack and just go to bed. I have the best of intentions, I've researched nights I want to attend, but you really can't start your evening at 5am. I was ready last night but there was a torrential downpour. I made it home just in time. It was beautiful, thunder and lightning over Montjuic. I sat watching from the living room until the rain started to come in. Then I started playing with Live again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home